Bookends FarmForce free training for all
Lessons, Clicker Training and
Problem Solving for Horses in
the Northeast Kingdom of VT
If you have your own horse, you can trailer in or I can come to you (travel fee applies…you can gather friends, family or neighbors to split that fee). Safety is a critical factor so I do need to determine that you have both a safe horse or pony to ride and a safe area to ride in.
What will you learn? I believe in a well rounded education! Before you even climb aboard, it is important that you learn how to act around horses. I will explain how to read them so you know how to respond appropriately. Every lesson will include horse management as well as riding. Horse management includes the many many things involved in spending time with horses.
- grooming and tacking up
- care of the horse or pony after you ride
- communicating with the horse or pony
- safety, safety, safety
- feed, water and housing
- health care
Riding skills begin with learning how to sit in a balanced position so that you and the horse are comfortable. We will proceed at a comfortable pace to more challenging activities such increasing gaits and riding over obstacles beginning with rails on the ground. We’ll occasionally ride “in the open” (field, road) and play games!
Safety Equipment- I do require all lesson participants to wear an ASTM approved helmet, heeled boots (no lug soles) of a sturdy material (like leather) which cover the ankle and a shirt with some sleeve (short sleeve is OK, sleeveless or tank tops are not).
Please see the Pricing and Policies page for lesson rates and cancellation policies.
Bookends Farm Blog
- What If I Can’t Go to an Animal Behavior Conference?
- Novelty in Training and Enrichment- the Equine Segment
- Naughty Horse Part 3: The Inconclusive Conclusion
- The Naughty Horse Part 2 in Which Reinforcers and Punishers Are Analyzed
- Real Life Reinforcers, Punishers and a Story of a “Naughty” Horse
- Hay Net, Bag, Feeder Review
- 12 Days of Christmas
- Bitless? My Thoughts on the Wide Range of What Is Acceptable to Different Trainers
- Jackpots and High Value Reinforcers: Riding the Swing of the Pendulum
- Clicker Expo Cincinnati 2016 (part 2)